Saturday, December 11, 2010

Washington, DC

On a whim I decided to buy a plane ticket to DC and go visit Scott and Kristy. Since I tend to plan my spontaneity, I was quite proud of myself.

Here are a few gems from the trip:



My favorite piece of artwork from the Smithsonian American Art Museum. It is called "Electronic Superhighway."


Kristy giving me the Capitol tour. I just love her!




White House(technically it is the back, I was not familiar enough with the architecture to know this).


One of my favorite things was renting bikes and riding them to all of the monuments. It has, in fact, been at least a decade since I've rode a bike. There were some scary and embarrassing moments, but overall, my self respect was left in tact.


Viewing all of the graves at Arlington Cemetery was quite powerful. It really put into perspective how lucky I am to be an American citizen and enjoy the liberties this country provides. I am very grateful for the soldiers who defend my freedom.


At Mt. Vernon I toured George Washington's house. This man made a tremendous impact on history.


The DC temple (which is actually located in Maryland) was gorgeous. There were over 500,000 lights and I was incredibly jolly.


This camel makes me happier than words can express. So do the people on it.


Of all the experiences, the Metro provided my most memorable experiences. It was there that I interacted with the people of DC, was by myself, broke my favorite pair of heels, and got "stuck". I love traveling.


Also, I returned to work to find a big sign my students made to welcome me back. What can I say, they love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment